In response to the kickstarter news, DarkenMoon97 on Reddit asked about the comparison between Pineapple and zBase, the existing 32bpp base set for OpenTTD. zBase is great – I’ve used it for years – but Richard (understandably!) didn’t have the time to put as much detail into it as he could have – his priority was creating a “complete, functional and useable base set” as a proof-of-concept for 32bpp graphics.
Here are a few comparisons of zBase and Pineapple sprites (the Pineapple sprites are, I should stress, works-in-progress):
Another difference between this project and zBase is that in addition to the Pineapple base set, I’m also creating a suite of NewGRFs in the same style, and template images and models to help other creators move to high-resolution NewGRFing. Pineapple is an attempt to shift the standards for OpenTTD, not just to create another base set.
I’m looking forward to hearing everyone’s feedback, especially about the backer rewards.
I’m committed to getting this base set complete for everyone to use with 1.6.0 in April next year. The Kickstarter funding will let me do that. I’m also looking forward to working with beta testers and making Pineapple a truly collaborative effort.
1.3 is now available on Bananas, the OpenTTD in-game content service.
This update is mostly about EMUs; additions and adjustments.
– The Corvine Interurban has been added as a very early electric locomotive with passenger capacity.
– The Unity Thunder has been introduced in 2008 with similar stats to the old VFT.
– The Manley Express had an incorrect top speed due to a typo, so it’s been bumped up by 8km/h.
– The VFT is now faster and more powerful (and more expensive).
– The VFT, Turbo, and Thunder now have the “tilt” flag set (this was supposed to be set before but wasn’t); these trains should reach top speed more easily now.
– The Millenium X2001 has had a capacity increase, but now has a malus to cargo payment decay so it won’t pay as well on long-distance routes. This will make it more useful
for its intended use – short-distance people-mover (eg between a city and an airport).
– A parameter to disable the variable running costs has been added.
– The default setting for the passenger car model parameter has been changed to “single vehicle with random special vehicles”.
Because of these parameter changes, this release is marked as incompatible with earlier versions – you’ll have to start a new game.