1460 and 1502 Class DELs
The 1460 class were ordered by QR in 1964, and worked mainly around Brisbane and the South-East. They were primarily freight locomotives, and the later members of the class were fitted with dynamic brakes. The more powerful (but externally almost identical) 1502 Class were used on suburban passenger trains, as well as freight services alongside the 1460s.
Introduced in 1961, these Budd-designed stainless steel cars were intended to be the first EMUs on Brisbane's suburban network. However, the electrification plans fell through, and the SX sets remained locomotive-hauled for their entire working life, eventually being supplanted by the 1979 Walkers EMUs. The last scheduled suburban service using SX cars ran in 1999.
All models come in both standard gauge and 3'6" versions - the 3'6" versions are denoted with a special icon in surveyor.
Return to the main page.